Sunday, May 20, 2012

WK 3 The Art of Possibility


Lighten up! This is something that I find is hard for some educators to do. The pressures of test scores, keeping attendance, worrying about little Johnny’s home life. All these things add stress to the school day. What would your students put in the blank, The best ______ ever? Learning course work is hard enough. Students know they have to do well. I found this out coaching a middle school basketball team. My parents were all in a craze about who was starting, jersey numbers, team sneakers, warm ups and the like. After the parent and players meeting was well under way, one of the seventh graders raised their hand and asked, “When are we going to play basketball?” We get so caught up about the end result that we forget to teach the subject. So as the book says love, laugh and live life to the fullest. Remember that students are people and not machines that collect information. Sometimes when my students enter my room I greet them with Mr. Jenkins at your service how may I help you today?


1 comment:

  1. Perfect example of how we forget what's important: when do we get to play basketball (err... learning). Wow, great analogy of what's usually wrong with how education is "managed." Ack.

    ReplyDelete