Sunday, May 20, 2012

My Response to Nykoli Hyatt


THURSDAY, MAY 17, 2012

Wk 4 Art of Possibility- Who said it isn't about me?

It isn't about me...Really?


My daughter is always reminding me that things aren't always about me but I believe her to be wrong.  It is always about me in as much I am always involved, I might not be at the forefront, I might be giving to others but I believe that so long as I am actively involved then I will make it about me.  

I believe in treating people's children with dignity and respect.  I have children and I hope that the kindness I extend to other people's children will be blessings waiting out there for my two.
Is it the power of music or the power of possibility? Or even the powerful force of paying forward. 


The possibilities of that first spark. To see it ignite, take hold... the changes, make a child, an adult believe in the possibilities of their own existence is something I would like to witness.  I am in contact with some of my past students, maybe I am witnessing without being consciously aware that I am (I just thought of that). This is s wow moment for me.

I always feel that there are choices and even when our back is up against the wall, we have choices.  When we do one thing, it means we have neglected the other choice (irrespective of whether we think it so or not).

Whether I accept myself as the Board or not, I guess that is what I am. Using Mr. Zander's analogy, I imagine, would empower me rather than feeling like 'stuff' happens to me and life is fair/unfair. It is not an easy  concept to accept and put into practice at this point, but with conscious thought and effort, who knows...


Being the Board all the time may leave one weary. I just can't seem to conceptualize how it would work as I think about it, others around me would have to be in a similar mind frame (as Cora, knowing about the 'A') in order for it to 'work'.

Rule number 6 is a great start for me. I do take myself too seriously and I get what Mr. Zander but once again a bit difficult to create these frameworks of possibilities and share it with others on a daily basis... Some things are much easier said than done (practiced). Could it be just small acts of kindness (like the teacher did for that student) or is it much more?


This way of thinking, living, being, calls for a renewing of the mind which no one would argue is an ill-fated task, but rather a conscious way of assessing and living one's life.  Whether it is or isn't, I guess I will start with start with small acts of kindness for right now, I do not feel like being concerned with anyone else but myself.  I will have to start small if I hope to incorporate these frameworks of possibility as part of who I am.


This all calls for a consciousness of thinking...

Though I have seen small changes (every now and again) in past students.  I haven't had the opportunity of seeing any of them realize their potential yet... but I believe I will see that and Lord knows, I am hoping to see that time and time and time again repeated by many.  I have encountered numerous young lives that I know have abilities beyond what had before been tapped into... My hope is that something I said, something I did will be remembered and that will take them to their dreams... and far beyond... only time will tell.


Hasanni and Imani- the possibilities are endless- You are and I know I will see great things!



Gwaan my yute!


                                         
Nykoli, your students and your children are watching you. Remember one small pebble thrown in a lake causes ripples. The choices you make affect you and others around you. When I struggled with a class, I told myself that every good thing that happened was like making a deposit in the bank. When a decision went bad or something didn't go the way I expected, I went to my bank and made a withdrawal. The students are listening to you and when one writes you a letter or a little note, make sure you put it in YOUR BANK!

No comments:

Post a Comment